Sometimes, people just need a little motivation to get them out of bed and into the pool in the morning. I know this is true for me. Waking up is hard.
My secret weapon: read a few motivational workout quotes. I like to read the swimming specific variety. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. “Do not wait for your ship to come in. Swim out to it.”-Unknown
I like this quote because it makes me feel like what it’s really saying is, “Go out and get what you want!” It motivates me to reach for the fitness level I’m striving for.
2. “You can’t put a limit on anything”-Michael Phelps
If anyone would know what he’s talking about, it’s Michael. Don’t settle for good enough. You can always do better.
3. “With so many people saying it couldn’t be done, all it takes is an imagination.” -Michael Phelps
If you can see yourself achieve it, you can make it a reality. That’s what this quote means to me.
4. “I am not going to allow myself not to perform well just because I don’t feel well. I am bulletproof to the extent that a lot of things can be thrown at me, but it’s about how much I am prepared to let them affect me”. -Ian Thorpe
This guy is a bad A. He doesn’t let anything hold him back. It makes me want to push through any discomfort I’m feeling and tough it out.
5. “I wouldn’t say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it” -Michael Phelps
I’m willing to work to reach my goals. And right now, my goals are to swim and strengthen my body.
6. “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” –Vince Lombardi
This reminds me of another quote, “Reach for the moon and even if you miss, you’ll still land among the stars.” But this is the manlier version of that quote. It motivates me to put forth my absolute best effort.
My ultimate Secret Weapon
If you still need a little extra motivation to help you during your laps too, that’s ok. I understand completely.
For that, I have another secret weapon: Underwater Audio’s Waterproof iPod Shuffle. Listening to music while you swim is a workout saver!
It completely transforms your experience. One minute you could be dragging along and the next, BAM! You have so much adrenaline. Trust me on this one. It’s totally worth it.
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before being published.