It’s easy to get discouraged when there’s always someone or something better than you. Because unless you’re a superhero, there’s probably someone who’s faster or stronger. But that doesn’t mean you should give up! If swimming is what you live for, keep at it and never give up. No matter what anyone else says.
Below are 7 Swim Legends with some advice to keep you going when you feel like giving up. No swim list would be complete without a quote from the one and only Michael Phelps. Is he even human? Not sure, but he sure has some good advice.
1. Michael Phelps (USA) Most Decorated Olympian of All Time with 22 Medals
“I wouldn’t say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it.”
2. Kieran Perkins (AUS) Gold medalist and former WR holder in the 1500 free, 800 free, 400 free
“Being your best is not so much about overcoming the barriers other people place in front of you as it is about overcoming the barriers we place in front of ourselves…But it does have everything to do with having the vision to dream, the courage to recover from adversity and the determination never to be shifted from your goal.”
3. Mark Spitz (USA) Winner of seven gold medals from the 1972 Olympics
“I’m trying to do the best I can. I’m not concerned with tomorrow, but with what goes on today. If you fail to prepare, you’re prepared to fail.”
4. Natalie Coughlin (USA) Most decorated female swimmer of all time
“Without goals, training has no direction.”
5. Missy Franklin (USA) Gold medalist and World Record holder
“Sometimes we complain, but there is something beautiful about waking up before everyone to get better at what we love.”
6. Alicia Coutts (AUS) 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist
“Success isn’t final, failure isn’t fatal, it’s courage that counts.”
7. Ryan Lochte (USA) Gold medalist and WR holder in the 200 and 400 IM
“Have fun, because that’s what life is all about.”
Couldn’t have said it better myself, Ryan! What are some of your favorite quotes? Share in the comments below!
Leave a comment
All comments are moderated before being published.