Now, if you’re not a girl, don’t tune out yet! When I first started compiling this list, my focus was my daughter. She’s just entering those precarious adolescent years, and I started noticing and keeping track of songs that spoke empowerment to me. The messages I want for my daughter, though, work for all of us. Who doesn’t want to feel like they’re good enough? Worthy? Powerful? Capable? Full of potential?Some of these are girl focused and have an obvious message. Others just have an appealing line here or there. They all have beats or music that kept me going on my workouts.
My list for you this month is all about knowing that, no matter who you are, you are strong, you are sufficient, and you have greatness within you.
Links to the songs below take you to iTunes, so if you’d like, you can purchase these songs and load them onto your iPod. We’ve provided song lengths and beats per minute to help you use the playlist for your swim or workout. Songs with beats per minute in the 125-140 range are ideal for stamina and energy efficiency. Faster or slower songs are great for interval training or warm up/cool down.
- Who Says – Selena Gomez & The Scene 3:15 | 101 bpm
- Try Everything – Shakira 3:17 | 115 bpm
- Hall of Fame (feat. will.i.am) – The Script 3:23 | 85 bpm
- Roar – Katy Perry 3:44 | 90 bpm
- Lose Yourself – Eminem 5:26 | 171 bpm
- Make Them Gold – CHVRCHES 3:52 | 145 bpm
- Centuries – Fall Out Boy 3:48 | 176 bpm
- Fighter – Christina Aguilera 4:06 | 189 bpm
- Break Free (feat. Zedd) – Ariana Grande 3:35 | 130 bpm
- Try – Colbie Caillat 3:45 | 140 bpm
- Work This Body – Walk the Moon 2:56 | 134 bpm
- Run the World (Girls) – Beyoncé 3:56 | 127 bpm
- Titanium (feat. Sia) – David Guetta 4:05 | 126 bpm
- Brave – Sara Bareilles 3:42 93 bpm
- The Fighter (feat. Ryan Tedder) – Gym Class Heroes 3:49 | 99 bpm
- King of Anything – Sara Bareilles 3:27 | 119 bpm
- Immortals – Fall Out Boy 3:09 | 108 bpm
- Fight Song – Rachel Platten 3:24 | 176 bpm
What songs on the list surprised you? What would you have put on the list? Share your favorite Girl Power songs in the comments!