Troubleshooting iPod Shuffle: Not Recognized
PLEASE READ THROUGH AND TRY THE SUGGESTIONS BELOW
If you continue to have problems or need help with a step, our customer service representatives will be happy to help you!
Please have your Order ID number or a copy of your purchase receipt before contacting customer service.
Call: 1-877-849-0750 M-F 8 AM-6 PM PST
IPOD NOT RECOGNIZED BY COMPUTER
Please try the following steps. They may help you solve the problem so you can continue using your iPod without having to wait for a replacement.
USE COMPUTER TO DIAGNOSE
Restart your computer by turning it off and back on again. Computers generally do not charge devices while in sleep mode, and a reset can help ensure the computer is on and ready to troubleshoot.
Check that your iTunes program is up-to-date. An old version of iTunes may keep your device from being recognized by the computer.
Check the headphone jack for debris. If the iPod’s light still turns on by it won’t sync or play, use a toothpick to gently remove any debris from the headphone jack. Debris in the headphone jack (lint, etc.) will prevent a connection between the iPod and the headphones or charger cable.
Make sure the USB cable has completely entered the iPod. The white plastic ring on the USB cord should come into direct contact with the iPod. This may require a small amount of force.
Try a different port on your computer. If the jack is clear but the Shuffle won’t sync, try using a different port to sync or charge. For example, if you are using a desktop, try one of the USB ports in the back.
Check your USB charging cable. Only use the small 3 inch USB charging cable that came with the original iPod packaging. Note: our headphone extension cord will not work to charge your iPod.
Try charging while your computer is on and not in “sleep” mode. With your computer fully on and active, plug in your iPod and wait for a minute to see if the light comes on. If it does, leave plugged in with the computer “awake” for up to 3 hours to fully charge it.
If you are using a PC, this video can help guide you step-by-step through finding the iPod on your computer and getting it to open in iTunes:
ASSESS CHARGING HABITS
How long do you charge your iPod?
- Never more than 3 hours: Move on to next step.
Overnight, at least once: The iPod battery is very small, and charging it more than 3 hours may cause damage.
- Limiting your charging time to 3 hours is a simple way to make your replacement last longer.
BATTERY LIFE TIPS
Please note that we have no hidden care instructions that void your warranty, but following the below tips will ensure that you get the most possible battery life from your iPod:
- After each swim, unplug the headphones and rinse the iPod and its headphone jack under some fresh water. This will help get any chlorine or salt off.
- If you are charging from the wall, make sure you are using a surge-protected outlet.
- Serious temperature changes can cause the iPod to fail. We don’t recommend leaving the iPod in your car for extended periods, as this can expose it to extreme hot or cold.
- If charging from a laptop, it is best to charge from your laptop’s high-power USB port. Also, don’t let your laptop go to sleep mode while charging, as this can cause the USB ports to stop putting out as much power.
- If charging from a desktop, it is best to charge from the USB ports on the back, as they charge the iPod faster and more smoothly.
- Only charge the iPod AS-NEEDED. The little shuffle’s lithium ion batteries generally charge in two to three hours, leaving them to charge overnight or for extended periods can seriously damage the battery.
- Here is a link to Apple’s website with battery care instructions to maximize the life of the iPod: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201568
CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE
If you’ve gone through the steps listed above without success or are having trouble with a step, our customer service representatives will be happy to help you. If you have your Order ID number and the answers to the following questions ready, the process will go much more quickly:
- Does the iPod turn on or respond at all when not plugged in? If so, what are its specific symptoms?
- What color light, if any, is displayed when you connect it to your computer? Is the light steady or blinking?
- Are any “Error” or “Warning” messages displayed by your computer or iTunes?
- Does the iPod show up as connected in iTunes and/or the Computer?
- Are you able to restore the iPod in iTunes or otherwise change its settings?
- How often do you charge the iPod?
- How long do you usually leave the iPod connected to the power source each time you charge it?